So you’ve worked long and hard to make this beautiful film. It’s your baby, it’s you precious and it’s time to release it out in the wild! We know it’s hard, but hey, once you’re here we have parties, drinks & games for you to celebrate film, so send us your baby & pack your bags, because the island life is worth the trip!
The Call for Entries for the 2018 Festival will be open from May 10 to August 25, 2017. The Victoria Film Festival presents more than 100 features, documentaries and shorts every year, during our ten day celebration of film. Eclectic and inspiring, the Festival hosts an array of guests that includes film directors, producers, distributors, festival and TV programmers. The Festival has been featured in such media as The Globe and Mail, The Seattle Times, Variety and CBC.
The point is: we’re kind of a big deal here. We are the second biggest festival in BC after all! So read stuff below then submit your awesome film!
Please note the following important dates for the Festival which will take place February 2nd to 12th, 2018:
|Opening Date||Early Bird Deadline||Regular Deadline||Late Deadline||Notification Date|
|May 10, 2017||June 23, 2017||July 28, 2017||August 25, 2017||December 31, 2017|
VFF is now ONLY accepting entries digitally. Please submit your films through the following online services:
If submission by DVD is required, please confirm with the programmer before submitting.
Deadline & Fees for Entries
Earlybird postmark deadline: June 23 • 2017 : $20.00 ($10.00 for VR)
Regular postmark deadline: July 28 • 2017 : $40.00 ($10.00 for VR)
Late postmark deadline: August 25 • 2017 : $50.00 ($10.00 for VR)
VFF is now only accepting entries digitally. If submission by DVD is desired, please contact the programmer before submitting.
All cheque or money orders payable to Victoria Film Festival. All funds must be in Canadian or US Dollars.
If paying via cheque/money order, include the name of the film being submitted on the payment.
1. May be fiction, documentary, animation or experimental of short or feature length.
2. Only films completed in 2016 or 2017 will be considered.
3. Films which have received television or theatrical exposure in the Victoria, B.C. area prior to the festival are not eligible.
4. Films available on the internet are not eligible.
5. Please include two film stills and a director’s headshot with your entry. These can be emailed or included with submission.
6. VFF now accepts only online screeners for preview purposes. Entries should be submitted by secure password-protected internet link. The link must NOT be visible to the public.
7. If submitting via DVD is desired, please contact the programmer before submitting.
8. If selected for the festival, exhibition prints may be presented in DVD, Blu-Ray, DCP or QuickTime compliant file. Filmmakers must deliver final format as indicated for festival screening. No exceptions. Shorts will be compiled into programs for screening. Titles minutes may be delivered to the festival
1. Works can be made at any time (unlike other categories)
2. Works may have been shown in Victoria prior to submission but please indicate this for clarity – Short 2D video samples can be used to represent longer works
3. You may be asked to show a complete work if requested AND complete works will give us a better sense of the full project
4. A list of the gear required for your VR project or a complete list of supported platforms must be included with your submission
5. A creative statement from the creator or team lead should also be included
The Festival will provide a complimentary Gold Pass for two representatives from each feature (75+ minutes) presented and six complimentary tickets to one screening of the film. Short filmmakers will receive one complimentary Gold pass and two complimentary tickets to one screenings of their film.
Entries will be reviewed by a Selection Committee appointed by the Festival Director. The Selection Committee will provide a list of those film and video works which it feels should be part of the Festival and will provide a short list of nominees for Festival awards. Entrants will be notified of the decisions of the Festival by December 31, 2017.
1. All shipping costs to Victoria must be paid by the participant.
2. The Festival will pay the cost of outbound shipping.
3. For international films, our print traffic coordinator will contact you with specific instructions.
4. Promotional materials of selected films become the (non-exclusive) property of the VFF and can be used to promote the Festival and the programs of the Festival in all mediums.
5. At the Festival, filmmakers will be able to sell copies of their work if desired. Contact the Festival for further details.
Awards & Prizes
Best Feature Film
Best Canadian Feature
Best Short Animation
Cineplex Entertainment Audience Favourite
Cultural Currents Award (Capturing the essence of a unique society)
Audience Favourite Short Film
Can’t make it happen this year? Sign up for our Filmmaker’s Newsletter for future reminders and updates.
Indulge in local wine and beer, fresh popcorn and HOT MOVIES daily at Victoria's only independent and licensed cinema, or rent The Vic for your own screenings, fundraisers, parties or presentations. Check out thevic.ca for more info on our movies and all the other good stuff!